I feel like I had some false start fruits. It was such a tease! About 2 weeks back, it seemed like my plants were already really producing. However, when I started checking in with the progress, they just never really seemed to take off. I am wounding if this kind of false start is normal?
Anyway, by now though, I really do have progress on my produce. Several plants have multiple fruits/veggies on them. I have been watching for problem bugs and pollinators. I added a few seeds to some of the pots for nasturtiums and marigolds to increase the numbers of flowers in my garden. I hope to attached more pollinators.
Tomatoes: I still have one of my original fruits on the bush (not sure which one this is. Either the yellow variety or I think Big Boy was the other round tomato I got). It is still green. Not sure how long it will take to change colors. I also have a second fruit on the bush! It is still small but growing! On my Roma tomatoes, I have 2 fruits that are currently growing. This is the plant I had trouble with Blossom End Rot with, so I hope I have enough nutrients in the soil to prevent that this time. Currently, one of my tomato plants does not have fruit on it.
Zucchini: There are 2 different sections to this plant. Not really sure if it is a different branch or two bushes. I should look into that. But, both sections are blooming and producing. One has 2 zucchinis that are on their way to developing into nice looking fruit, and one small one that I hope survives and turns into a good looking zucchini. The other plant has three of the smaller zucchinis.
As far as telling when this yellow zucchini is ripe, I am unsure. So far the oldest fruit is small but growing. I did notice today that the stem end is getting a darker yellow-orange color. It is also starting to develop the distinctive zucchini markings. Those little lighter colored markings. You know, coming to think of it, that might have a name. I should look that up. So I am starting to think these markings could have a lot to do with how to tell it is ready. Will update on this. ***As of 5/29, the oldest of the zucchinis ended up very small. The blossom end was a little strange looking. I picked it today. The other zucchinis look like they are growing to full size and currently look fine.
The peppers are going strong! All three of my peppers have baby peppers on them! One of them has a pretty good size one too! It also has 2 smaller peppers on it. Currently not sure which one this is. I did a terrible job marking the types of plants. Going to have to work on that. One pepper, which I think has to be the poblano, has three small peppers. The 3rd plant has 2 peppers.
The pepper plant that was in the second pot is starting to do much better now that the cutworms are gone. It is not as big or healthy looking as the plants in the first pot were by this stage. I am glad it survived! The leaves really got shredded. But, there are small blooms on the plant now. I should take pictures and track how long each stage takes for future reference.
Cucumbers have not produced anything else of size, although the plant is getting huge! I see many female ends and male ends so I am not sure what the problem is. I have started to take some male flowers try to hand pollinate the female flowers. We will see if that works. I am anxious to see this plant get going. I thought this was going to be the first to really start producing, but I had a lot of false starts on this plant. ** 5/28 I started to notice the bees have found this plant!!! Yay!
The potatoes vines are getting bigger but hard to tell what is happening under the soil.
My eggplant is finally starting to recover after the cutworm incident. I think I can declare the pot free of those little jerks! Since so much damage was done to the top of the plant and the new leaves coming out, I think the plant is starting to put out a new stalk! I saw some green leaves coming out near the base of the plant. I can only assume at this point, what this actually is.
I had one green onion pop up in the can it is planted in.
Nothing yet for the onions.
Lemons are still going on the Pink Lemon tree. Actually got some more blooms on this and a few new small fruits.
I finally repotted my pineapples! They have also been moved out into the sun. One is still in its original pot. It has bull ants living in it. I decided not to mess with those for the moment. I will need to do some research on what to do about those. One of the other pineapples had some smaller ants in them. I will also need to do some research to see what to do about them.