Well, I was sad to see a good size branch on my Gypsy Pepper plant snapped in a storm. I had even looked at in the morning and thought I needed to tie it to a support. Well, I did not get to it in time. 😦 I have had little luck in rooting pepper branches. I have been treating them like my tomato cuttings that I have had so much good luck with. I decided to try a different method. One closer to how I am propagating a hydrangea at the moment.
The process: I cut the stems down into 6 different sections. As far as I can tell, they all have nodes on a part of the stem. I have some OLD root hormone my dad gave me, so I dipped all the cut ends in that before planting them. I prepared 6 plastic solo cups with wet soil. I also added cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Cinnamon to help keep away any fungal problems and cayenne in hopes that would keep fungal gnats/bugs out of the plants. The solo cups have a cutout in the bottom and are sitting in another solo cup. I covered the pepper plants and cups with plastic bags. This was to help keep the moisture level high. I am a little worried it might keep it too wet. We will see!
I would be really excited if this experiment works! That would be 6 new plants!!! I will keep them inside under my grow lights until the crushing heat of FL summer is over. Currently, I do have my big Gypsy Pepper plant outside. I am watching it to see if it needs to be brought inside or if it can sustain the heat, which is in the 90s most of the time.