I got my strawberries in the mail today. They had been in my mail box, which I am little concerned about. Not sure how long they were there. They did not look terrible, so I don’t think it was too long but still very warm in there!
I wanted to go ahead and plant them. As I looked around the house for a good pot, I noticed an old garbage can with some hole patterns going up the size. Well, it looked enough like a Strawberry pot that I decided that is what it would become! I cleaned it out really well. The bottom was turned into a self-watering system. I used hay to block up some of the sides and then poked the strawberries out the holes. Fingers crossed it is big enough for all the plants I put in it! I don’t think they need a lot of space given the DIY strawberry towers I have seen.
Currently, it will live on the porch. I think my porch has become my nursery for the newly planted plants and seeds. Hopefully, they will get established soon. I am sure it will be a few months until they start to produce.
** About a day or so after I planted these, I started to notice mold in the hay. I am not sure if this is actually a problem yet, but I am pretty bummed. It is REALLY wet in FL right now. We were having a drought, but now, it has been raining every day for about 4 days. The forecast has it raining for another week. So I am not sure if it is the weather or something in the hay. I hope the plants are already strong enough to handle the problem! I did spray the planter with Neems Oil, but with all the little holes and all the hay, I am not sure this will work.
***Two weeks later, I did not think the strawberries were getting enough light, so I moved them outside. 7/1 I brought them inside. about half of them on one side did not survive. Not sure what to make of it.